RequirementsMicrosoft Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7 / XP 64-bit / Vista 64-bit / Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 10 / Windows 10 64-bit
Date addedDec 05, 2017
Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows apps. Inno Setup today rivals and even surpasses many commercial installers in feature set and stability.
- Support for all variants of Windows in use now: Vista, XP, 2008, (No support packs are needed.)
- Extensive support for setup of 64-bit software on the 64-bit variants of Windows. Both of the x64 and Itanium architectures have been supported. (About the Itanium architecture, Service Pack 1 or later is Needed on Windows Server 2003 to set up in 64-bit mode.)
- Standard Windows 2000/XP-style wizard port.
- Installation of documents: File compression. Information, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, enroll DLL/OCX's And form libraries, and install fonts.
- Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop computer.
- Generation of registry and .INI entries.
- Integrated Pascal search engine.
- Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
- Silent install and uninstall.
- Complete source code is available (Borland Delphi 2.0-5.0).
- Minor tweaks
- To further help protect installers against potential DLL preloading attacks, Setup/Uninstall now calls SetDefaultDllDirectories if available to remove the application directory from the DLL search order. If SetDefaultDllDirectories is not available or cannot be called, it now additionally preloads a set of system DLLs known to be loaded unsafely by older or unpatched versions of Windows.
- Change in default behavior: the OutputBaseFileName [Setup] section directive now defaults to mysetup instead of setup. Setting it back to setup is not recommended: all executables named "setup.exe" are shimmed by Windows application compatibility to load additional DLLs, such as version.dll. These DLLs are loaded unsafely by Windows and can be hijacked. If you do so anyway, the compiler will issue a warning.
- Added new [Files] section flags: sign and signonce. Instructs the compiler to digitally sign the original source files before storing them. Ignored if [Setup] section directive SignTool is not set. Inno Setup's own compiler files are now also signed.
- [Setup] section directive LZMADictionarySize now allows the LZMA dictionary size to be increased up to 1 GB from the previous maximum of 256 MB. Review the memory requirements listed in the Compression topic before using.
- Unicode Inno Setup: Added official Armenian translation
- Improved the "auto-retry" feature of the [Files] section: it now also retries if MoveFile failed even if the preceding DeleteFile succeeded. Additionally, if MoveFile keeps failing it will now register the file to be replaced on restart if the restartreplace [Files] section flag is used instead of displaying an error message.
- The value of the AppVersion directive is now not only used to set the MajorVersion and MinorVersion values in the Uninstall registry key when possible but also used to set the VersionMajor and VersionMinor values as required by newer versions of the Windows App Certification Kit.
Inno Setup Preprocessor (ISPP) changes:
- Added new function RemoveFileExt.
- Documented predefined variable ISPPCC_INVOKED.
- Console-mode compiler (ISCC) change: Added new command line parameter /J. Can be used to #include additional files.